Monday, April 13, 2009

Chappadi... place to visit more than once... (my weekend experience!!)

Well I don't call myself an orthodox person... the only thing I do is bow my head when I see a temple while drivin... so I had to think twice before agreeing to my pal Brat when he invited to his village chappadi (15 kms from hosur) for srinivasa kalyaNotsava... But then it was long due and we had to see his farm as well...
The drama started on saturday night when there was only one car and 8 people!! (Brat, vinu, rama, abhi, BD, kettu, captain & me!)... After thinking about various options Vinu came to the rescue... He got his car and hence we left..
Usually 7:30 AM IST means sharp 8:45AM... that's when we started... After an hour long drive... Brat treated us with an awesome breakfast... typical iyengar breakfast... idly, pongal, vada and dosa... last but not the least... super coffee and tea to go in the end...
We eventually got to the village at about 11:30 AM and the first thing we did was visit Brat's ancestral home.. what a place and what location.. absolutely wonderful home... and he offered us tender coconuts... wat a relief...
We saw the temple which was situated on the top of a hill... easy climb... But it so happens... whenever I go to a temple... I will always forget my camera... and when I try remembering how GOD looked like(especially Lord Venkateshwara!)... I cant when i come out of the premises... It happened the same way yesterday too... surreal... Anyways... we came back and became a part of kalyaNotsava... Brat solved the first problem with his mobile... and clicked some very good pictures... The whole place was serene and beautiful.. which people wont forget that easily...
Next came something we all were waiting for... what food... again typical iyengar special... we all loved it... we had to wait but it was worth it... It had the usual puliyogre and sweet pongal... fantastic...
In the late afternoon as our schedules were packed... after food... we went straight to the farm...
Brat's farm has mangoes, coconuts, silk farming... As discussed earlier we had plans to play cricket there... and we did.. ram took a dive in the well... BD was busy checking out snake's skin... which apparently was of a cobra and about 1 1/2 feet in length... (you can view all the pics in the face-book a little later...) and what else... we had tender coconuts again... as sweet as honey! thanks to brat...
Brat's mother gave us coffee and some goodies from the farm when we were about to leave... mangoes and veggies... very generous of her... classic case of "Undu hodaa... kondu hoda..." for us...
We came back to Bangalore at 9:30PM dead tired... I hit close to 120kph in my car... quite an exhilarating experience...

2 comments:

  1. You may be pleasantly surprised to see my comments regarding your post after all these years. I came across it while doing a Google search on Chappadi. Our family is from Chappadi. My grandfather was a priest at the Srinivasa temple on top of the hill that you visited and my father was born in the village at the bottom of the hill. My brother got married at the temple and we too have a mango farm in Chappadi.
    I am glad you had a great experience. It is a great place. Do visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know... I visited with my wife and daughter and we had great time at the new temple constructed by Bharath's faimily...

    ReplyDelete